Monday, January 19, 2009

Severe COLD WEATHER!!!!!

Like the lyrics to the song go "It's Forty Below and I don't give a #*@%&, got a heater in my truck and I'm off to the Rodeo!!!" (It's an old David Allan Coe song) Well, it actually WAS about that cold around here for most of the last week or so, and so i just thought i would take a second to write.

While severe cold was originally a part of potential seismic activity, I want to point out that it was in association with four feet of snow in the Sierras, and wind speeds of up to 55 mph so today I just want to point out to those of you who were interested that the severe cold ALONE, might not be too much of a source for seismic energy.

Granted, I believe it to be hot and cold that makes the mercury in a thermometer work possibly through warm/expansion and cold/contracting and that if that is true, then it seems plausible to me that energy could also contribute to plate tectonics. . . but in and of itself possibly not to the extent that it could cause a major earthquake. All alone by itself anyways. THIS could explain a lot of the small shakers in the five Richters range i am receiving on my cell phone via the Twitter service with text notifications for "EQTW" or "EarthquakeNews" both great sources of such notifications!!!

So, that is really all that is happening right at the moment. And the weather has gotten warmer since last week, too, so hopefully there isn't really too much potential seismic energy anywhere in the world right at the moment. Obviously still NOT an all clear by no means, but I suppose there could well be one coming up if nothing else happens soon!!!

Thank-You, again for reading!!!

The EQ Alert Guy

No comments: