Friday, June 22, 2012

Kodiak 5.0!!! Seattle, Santa Barbara, Los Angeles Coming???

Early today my phone chimed and it was a 5.0 Richters Shaker at KODIAK Island, Alaska! There is that earthquake energy! If you follow my EQ Blog or are one of my regular readers you probably already know where that is going! In general it means somewhere along our West Coast! Here is the picture: On the left you can see Japan where Typhoon Guchol made landfall, those are the Islands of Alaska in the middle including Kodiak Island, and at the right Vancouver, British Columbia, and Seattle/Snohomish region of The State of Washington.

While this has been a smaller alert, I found a 5.8 Richters earthquake that struck Bakersfield around the 1950's where hundreds of buildings were destroyed, and I am wondering if there is such a thing as a smallish megathruster striking out in the middle of the Santa Barbara Channel in the same manner as they can around the Andaman and Nicobar Islands? In my notes I have also written Southern Illinois, New Madrid, Haiti, Azores, and "what about Richmond?"

Finally, Keep Watching California and all of our West Coast for a 7.1 Richters earthquake and these are two different alerts! I will have more updates along the way on Seattle/Snohomish, however note that the date I picked on Los Angeles/Santa Barbara, June 25 will be this coming Monday! On the basis that it could be a shorter time frame for the Santa Barbara Channel. So be watching and be prepared!!!!! EQ Guy

No comments: