Thursday, March 27, 2014

50 Year Anniversary of Great Alaska Earthquake of 1964!!!!! New Moon Window Starts on Saturday!!!

As usual I was going through all the latest earthquakes in an effort to locate the ones that would be todays headlines in this here EQ Blog, when I suddenly discovered it had been March 27 and is the Anniversary of the Great Alaska Earthquake that was also called "Good Friday Earthquake" and suddenly the 5.4 Richters Earthquake that just struck up at the Northern Indian Ocean Tectonic Plate was no longer significant enough for todays headline. However I must mention that earthquake in the Indian Ocean combined with the landfall of Tropical Cyclone Gillian at Christmas Island does indicate there will likely be still more medium sized earthquakes coming for somebody at some point in the future.

As far as the past, it is now 50 years since that huge 9.2 Richters Earthquake struck Alaska at 5:32pm Alaska Time in the afternoon of March 27, 1964. I was riding my tricycle along and heading from the kitchen into the living room right at the exact moment of a fairly huge shaker right here in Wisconsin at one point in my young life and while it could possibly have been this earthquake, there was also one or two Illinois Earthquakes back around that time and so I can not exactly recall if it was the month of March, or if I would have been riding a tricycle at the age of 3 Years and 7 Months which would have been my exact age on the day I felt everything shaking and looked up to see a decorative plate on the wall above me swinging. I suppose it was obvious to me what it was that day, but sorry I did not keep accurate track of what day that was and so I can not say for sure it was this earthquake, but in any event that is my story. UPDATE: Found the Felt Report from this earthquake and there are reports from Indianapolis and Lincoln, Nebraska!!! Here it is at Earthquake Central: http://eqalert.blogspot.com/2014/03/felt-report-m92-southern-alaska-friday.html

I can do a little bit of research and try to find a felt report from that earthquake although it will be later in the week I get that and report it here. Here is a link to Wikipedia where you can just simply read all the major facts related to that earthquake, but I can tell you I just read through it and it appears from reading this story that a big part of the cause of that earthquake was the fact that Alaska had just become a state in 1959 and there was a lot of building right there in that immediate area as a result. One thing I learned early on about pictures of the biggest earthquakes was that there was always a lot of brand new construction right there in the immediate area and then the ground tends to really settle a lot, and shake!!! Here's the facts from that earthquake: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Alaska_Earthquake
Great Pic of ground movement at Alaska from 1964 shaker there!!! Courtesy of Wikipedia!!!

There is a similar effect whenever a brand new reservoir is filled with water such as did happen right at our own Lake Mead back at the time the Hoover Dam was completed and they then filled it with water. There was a lot of earthquakes there as well as the recent filling of the Three Gorges Dam and Reservoir up in China and others. The general term used is man made earthquakes and includes nuclear tests, deep wells, and today is more and more coming to include fracking, but construction on fault lines might also be a cause although not entirely as of this writing, anyways.

The swarm at Mt. Hood seems to be continuing although I do not have an updated list today, I will have that later, but Chile seems to have let up as I have not been getting them on my phone since I last wrote about all of them. Could have just been your basic Richter-Guttenberg rule of aftershocks and quit.

NEW MOON Alert will begin on Saturday Morning and there has also been somewhat of a winter storm on our East Coast with upwards of a foot of new snow and winds reported over 100mph!!! New Moon and lots more severe winter weather equals watch for more earthquakes!!!!! Thank-You Again for Reading!!! EQ Guy

Here's The 50th Anniversary Podcast!!!!!

THIS PODCAST ON THE "POD-O-MATIC" SERVICE WAS DELETED, SORRY!!!

Thank-You For Reading!!! EQ GUY


Much more earthquake stuff I wrote all about in My E-Book, "Bringing Earthquakes To Life" @ http://www.eqalert2.blogspot.com Thank-You For Reading!!! EQ Guy

No comments: