Thursday, December 12, 2013

WATCH Out For Major East Coast Earthquake as Big as Charleston 1886!!!

3.0 Near Chattanooga, Tennessee! When I saw that one on the list it occurred to me that I should probably mention that there is always the chance there could be the next big Major Earthquake that just might strike somewhere else such as out east! Then it occurred to me I should write todays EQ Blog about the 1886 Charleston, South Carolina Earthquake. Every so often we get a Major Earthquake in New Hampshire, Maine, Boston, Virginia, and the Carolinas and they have been known to be big earthquakes doing a lot of damage, too!

Some of these are felt as far away as Chicago and Milwaukee and there was also the 1811-1812 New Madrid Earthquakes that in one old newspaper story it was reported there was so much snow covering the East Coast from a blizzard that had just struck that they were not able to get out of there to offer help in New Madrid. Todays Chattanooga Earthquake was felt in several states also, here is the felt report from it: http://eqalert.blogspot.com/2013/12/30-felt-in-chattanooga-tennessee-heres.html

I don't know if this is just ironic, or what, but upon just casually checking the dates of some of these east coast earthquakes from history that I was looking up today, I discovered a 5.9 at Giles County, Virginia on May 31, 1897 that struck ON the New Moon! Haven't actually gone back to that specific earthquake to check exactly how many minutes or hours apart these two exact moments were or what the reaction in 1897 Washington, DC was either, but was at least somewhat surprised at that correlation coming to life right there!

And in my research I also found a Major Earthquake of "Intensity IV" that struck at Williston, North Dakota on October 26, 1846 although I seem to remember it having been felt in Williston, but can't say for sure if they said the epicenter was Williston.

So the point I wanted to make, and I will have an update or two on this subject in later EQ Blogs, was that we might also have to watch the coming days for one of those rare East Coast Earthquakes potentially as big as the Great Charleston Earthquake of August 31, 1886 only a day and a half before the Full Moon, too! So watch out New Hampshire, Maine, Boston, Virginia, Carolinas, and Chattanooga because there just might be a Major Earthquake heading for you before January 1, 2014 Arrives!!!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It looks like this Tennessee quake happened right in the middle of Eastern Tennessee Seismic Zone.

I was just recently saw an article that this zone could one day have a quake of 7.5!