Friday, January 17, 2014

Northridge Earthquake Strikes Los Angeles 20 Years Ago!!! Here's What I Was Doing That Day!!!!!

I had worked on a lot of movies in Chicago Film Production starting with my completing acting school in 1990 and the years 1991, 1992 and 1993 were some of my biggest years as far as working on a lot of movies!!! Then on the morning of January 17, 1994 when I turned on the TV they were showing pictures of the San Fernando Valley on fire! Up to that time I had no idea what earthquakes even were! About all I knew was that it was somekind of force of nature that was causing enormous troubles especially for my friends in Hollywood and this is when you try to think about what you can do to help them out. . . . . knowing I was not going to be heading out there immediately I searched a while for how I might help just the same.

It was a longshot that day, but I decided I would do some research and before January 17, 1994 was over, I had found numerous different possible correlations with Major Earthquakes and more specifically I discovered that the rest of the country was right at that moment experiencing some of the worst severe winter conditions of all time! I also knew from experience that the pieces fit well, and that extreme cold and huge amounts of snow likely connected to the huge movement of the ground out there in California! Further research next revealed that other major earthquakes had been preceded by the landfall of major hurricanes and typhoons! Yes, it was another day or so after Northridge, but I was forming the concept in my mind of the earths tectonic plates all being moved around however slightly by all the different things going on at the surface! Today I take all that for granted as I now routinely track all of these what I call potential sources for earthquake energy. . . . . but on January 17, 1994 it was all just discovered as a result of wanting to help out the people of California in any way that I could from up here in Wisconsin!!! EQ Guy

No comments: